Four completely different style Advent/Christmas songs today: an early music sound, a gentle folk song, a street-corner salvation band, and even a sing-a-long with the words on the screen.
NCH #101 Comfort, Comfort O My People NCH #105 Gentle Joseph, Joseph Dear NCH #106 My heart Sings Out With Joyful Praise I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
- I heard the bells on Christmas day Their old familiar carols play, And wild and sweet the words repeat Of peace on earth, good will to all.
- I thought how, as the day had come, The belfries of all Christendom Had rolled along th’unbroken song Of peace on earth, good will to all.
- Till ringing, singing on its way The world revolved from night to day, A voice, a chime, a chant sublime Of peace on earth, good will to all.
- And in despair I bowed my head “There is no peace on earth,” I said, “For hate is strong and mocks the song Of peace on earth, good will to all.”
- Then pealed the bells more loud and deep: “God is not dead, nor doth God sleep; The wrong shall fail, the right prevail With peace on earth, good will to all.”
copyright: public domain Words: Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, 1864.; modified Music: ‘Waltham (Calkin)’ John B. Calkin, 1872.